Adult Learners Week is a UNESCO initiative coordinated in Australia by Adult Learning Australia, and funded by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training. In 2018, Adult Learners’ Week runs from 1–8 September, the beginning of spring, and incorporates International Literacy Day, celebrated annually on September 8.
Community Colleges Australia (CCA) is pleased to support Adult Learners Week, and recommends that Australian adult and community education (ACE) organisations consider running an event during the week.
“CCA strongly encourages its members and the Australian community education sector to get involved in Adult Learners Week 2018. This annual celebration is a great means of reinforcing the good work that ACE providers undertake in adult education. Almost 35% of our sector’s government-funded VET students are over age 45, a strong indication that our sector specialises in reaching mature Australian adults,” said Dr Don Perlgut, CEO of CCA.
Adult Learners Week has hundreds of events and activities designed to promote the benefits of learning. The Week:
- promotes the range of learning possibilities;
- makes learning options relevant and accessible to learners;
- creates a culture of lifelong learning; and
- builds a bridge between basic, vocational and general adult education, including literacy and numeracy – a particular area of expertise for community education providers;
- shows the strong relationship between adult learning, strong democracies and productive communities; and
- creates a learning society that everyone can access.