What do the following organisations all have in common: San Diego Community College, Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), Training Services NSW and TAFE Directors Australia? Answer: they are sending their President Chief Commissioner Executive Director and CEO to speak at the Community Colleges Australia (CCA) conference at Sydney’s Mercure Hotel in November.
This is your chance to join them, as well as the Commonwealth Minister for Vocational Education and Skills – and more to come – in Australia’s premier annual event for community education providers.
Do you have a great project to share? Are you burning with enthusiasm to tell others about your innovation or success? If so, CCA would like to hear from you.
This year’s conference theme is “Taking the Lead – Building Community”, with four strands: leadership and governance, building skills, community & economic development and social justice. We are looking for presentations that:
- relate directly to the experiences of Australian community education providers;
- present new, unique and challenging perspectives on adult and community education (ACE) and vocational education and training (VET);
- provide valuable historical, political and social context;
- present case studies of “things that work” in ACE;
- report on recent research of interest to the ACE sector or VET providers;
- could be presented in a “workshop” format that allows participants to work with the presenter to develop new skills, insights and understandings; and
- provide international (or other) perspectives that Australian participants will find valuable and stimulating.
Topic areas we wish to cover include:
- meeting the needs of vulnerable and disadvantaged learners and communities, including Indigenous Australians, regional and rural residents, older workers, young people, people with disabilities and people facing mental health challenges;
- promoting strong leadership and governance in not-for-profit community-based organisations;
- diversifying not-for-profit organisational business models;
- social entrepreneurship models;
- integrating community and economic development;
- leadership, strategic development and human resource management of not-for-profit organisations; and
- marketing and branding community-based organisations in the “noisy” digital world.
Go to the Conference “Call for Papers” page. Or simply download the Abstract Word document as your proposal template, fill it in, and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 August 2018. We welcome queries in advance of a formal submission of interest. CCA is reviewing proposals as they arrive, including early acceptance of selected papers – so we encourage your early submission of proposals.
Highlights of the Conference include the second annual Community Education Student of the Year Award (nominations are now open), a welcome cruise on Sydney Harbour, the annual dinner and a dynamite exhibition with some of Australia’s best VET and organisational service providers.
Don Perlgut, PhD, CEO; Evelyn Goodwin, Policy Manager; & Anne Walter, Operations Manager
(photo credit: Don Perlgut)