The Victorian Minister for Training and Skills Gayle Tierney has announced the Advisory Board of the Victorian Skills Authority (VSA), representing experience that will ensure Victoria’s training sector continues to meet the needs of jobseekers and industry.
The Advisory Board will be chaired by Lisa Line and set out a plan for the quality and relevance of Victoria’s TAFE, adult and community education, training and higher education system through collaboration with community, industry and providers, providing independent advice to the VSA CEO and Government.
The Victorian Government previously appointed Craig Robertson (pictured) as the founding VSA Chief Executive Officer. Mr Robertson has a strong background in social and economic policy at both the state and federal levels, most recently as CEO of TAFE Directors Australia, during which he worked closely with CCA.
The formation of the VSA was a key recommendation of the report handed down by former Federal Minister Jenny Macklin in her an independent review into Victoria’s vocational education and training system and was established as part of a $383.8 million investment in skills, training and higher education in the Victorian Budget 2021/22.
“The Victorian Skills Authority is a game-changer for our post-secondary training system – it will drive innovation and provide skills-led solutions to our changing economy and help us bounce back from the pandemic. Importantly, the Authority will work collaboratively across the sector – supported by the new Advisory Board which will provide vital sector and regional insights,” said Minister for Training and Skills Gayle Tierney.
Advisory Board of the Victorian Skills Authority
- Lisa Line, skills and training expert (Chair), most recently, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Pathways and Vocational Education), Swinburne University of Technology
- Mr Neville Atkinson, Executive Manager, Programs and Policy, Victorian Aboriginal Education Association
- Mrs Rebecca Casson, CEO, Master Builders Victoria
- Ms Lisa Fitzpatrick, State Secretary Australian Nursing & Midwifery Federation
- Ms Elaine Gillespie, Australian Education Union Vice President TAFE, and Adult Provision
- Mr Bill Hamill, CEO, Rural Industries Skill Training Centre, Hamilton
- Mr Luke Hilakari, Secretary, Victorian Trades Hall Council
- Dr Susie Siew Yuen Ho, Associate Dean, International and Graduate Education, Monash University
- Ms Emma King, CEO, Victorian Council for Social Service
- Ms Fiona MacDonald, Executive Director, Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Ms Maria Peters, Chair of Adult, Community and Further Education (ACFE) Board
- Mr Gavin Smith, Chairman and President of Robert Bosch Australia
- Mr Desmond Powell AO (Des), Former Chair and Board member, TAFE Gippsland
- Ex-officio members Craig Robertson, VSA, and Lill Healy, Department of Education and Training